Criminal Claims Bureau CCB Logo

01423 593 002

Criminal Claims Bureau CCB Logo
Enquire Now

Rape assault victim compensation - sexual assault claim

If you have been the victim of rape or sexual assault you may be eligible to make a claim for compensation.

Call our helpline and speak confidentially to our specialist advisors on 01423 593 002 or you can TEXT us on 078600 17163

Rape can be defined as an unwanted and unlawful sexual assault. Compensation following a rape assault can be awarded for personal injury, trauma and psychological injuries under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) scheme. This is a government scheme and the CICA are part of the Ministry of Justice.

We can guide you through the process and speak to you in complete confidence. Call us for a no obligation discussion about your case, we will confirm your options and discuss your entitlement to claim.

Rape assault victim counselling

Please read our main CICA claim advice page if your case involves physical assault.

Call us to discuss your case today - 01423 593 002 or complete our enquiry form

Making a compensation claim following a Rape or Sexual Assault

If you have reached this section of our website, you have made the very brave decision to explore your legal rights following your assault. We can help you make a claim for compensation and our specialists can speak to you in complete confidence.

If you are a parent / guardian and have a child under the age of 18 who has been the victim of rape, we can help you make an application on their behalf.

When can a claim be made?

There are strict deadlines on making a claim to the CICA following a rape assault. You must submit your claim within 2 years of the assault or 2 years from when the matter was reported to the police. If you are under 18 at the time of the assault, the 2 year deadline period will run from your 18th birthday.

The CICA will allow more time if you are suffering from ill health due to perhaps trauma related issues or if there are other exceptional circumstances. They may not be so generous if the claim is delayed because the police investigation runs beyond the 2 year period, waiting for a trial to end may not be advisable. It is strongly recommended that where possible you try to make your claim within the 2 year deadline.

No claim can be made unless the rape assault has been reported to the police and a thorough investigation has been carried out. Find out what you can do if the police decide not to prosecute an offender.

OUT OF TIME FOR CLAIMING? - Get in touch - Many cases can be successfully appealed.

Important: Please be aware that you do not need to wait for the outcome of a court case to make an application for a claim.

Call us to discuss your case today - 01423 593 002 or complete our enquiry form

Recent statistics released by the government in January 2013 have shown that between 60,000 - 90,000 people suffer a rape related assault (the vast majority women) in England and Wales each year. The true figure could be much higher as many assaults go unreported, particularly those involving domestic violence. It is thought that over 400,000 women are sexually assaulted each year and 1 in 5 women between the ages of 16-59 have experienced some type of sexual violence since the age of 16.

Rape not only affects many women, but also men and children occurring either as an isolated incident or as part of a period of abuse.We understand that this type of assault can be hugely traumatic for victims and can cause long lasting psychological problems.

Abuse cases

If you were the victim of historical sexual assault before 1st October 1979 and were living with your attacker as members of the same family at the time, unfortunately the CICA scheme does not cover claims for periods of abuse up to this date.

More information about criminal injury claims time limits can be found here.

FGM Cases

Reports to the police of female genital mutilation or FGM cases are on the increase in the UK. This is mainly due to tougher laws protecting victims. It is now a requirement for medical professionals to report signs of female circumcision involving minors under 18 to the authorities. It is possible to claim compensation for FGM in certain circumstances.

Helpful Contacts

There are many groups which can offer further help and support for victims of rape.

Please see the following links for more information:

For an informal and confidential chat about making a claim for sexual assault and/ or abuse, please contact one of our experienced advisors on or alternatively please complete our online contact form.

crossmenu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram