Criminal Claims Bureau CCB Logo
Enquire Now

Sexually abused as a child can I claim CICA compensation

Claiming compensation from the CICA for child abuse

This is a question many people are rightly asking. If you were sexually abused as a child you might be entitled to claim compensation from the Criminal Injury Claims Authority (CICA).

Recent publicity has led to a surge in public awareness of child abuse and its harmful, devastating effects. Victims – or survivors as they should be called – no longer feel as though they cannot talk about their experience and about the trauma they have endured. Survivors are encouraged to come forward to seek help and to report abusers who may well be a danger to others.

Making a child abuse or sexual abuse claim

If you have suffered sexual abuse as a child – here is how the compensation claims process usually works:

You must report the incident(s) to the police
Do not worry about how many years ago the abuse happened. The key thing is to report the matter to the police as soon as you are well enough or able to do so

You must apply for compensation within 2 years of reporting the matter to the police.
There can be exceptions to this rule but it is important that you adhere to this timeframe if at all possible.

A successful prosecution is not necessary
It does not matter if the court case is still pending or whether the accused was found not guilty. You can still claim subject to certain criteria. DO NOT DELAY making your enquiry. This may prove costly.
Make a CONFIDENTIAL ENQUIRY with us today

Getting help

We would recommend some of the following organisations:
NSPCC – National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children
This organisation remains one of the leading support networks for both children and adults.

NAPAC is a UK-wide charity supporting adults who were abused in childhood.

Home Front Page

The Samaritans
The Samaritans are a well known organisation who have trained staff ready and willing to listen to people needing emotional support in times of great stress. With branches nationwide and a 24/7 presence, they are one of the UK’s leading emotional support charities.

Another well known support charity started up by Esther Rantzen in the early 80’s, Childline focuses on providing emotional support primarily for children and parents. They cover many different areas and have specially trained staff to handle the subject of abuse.

Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARC)
SARCs are specialist medical and forensic services for anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted. They can help even those who do not want to report the matter to the police.

What to do if you suspect a child is being abused.